Thursday, October 3, 2013

Stanhopea Fall Culture Checklist


 
As the weather begins to cool, fall is a great time to enjoy Stanhopea blooms and watch new growths emerge.  This is also a good time to repot or rebasket plants because it is still warm and many Stanhopea will continue growth through fall.  By the end of December, most warm growing Stanhopea will complete their growth cycle, and wait for spring/summer to continue growth in preparation for summer or fall bloom.
 
·         Continue watering all Stanhopea regularly and keeping them moist.  I usually water these orchids three to four times a week under normal temperature conditions.  If temperatures rise above 90°F (28°C) and humidity is low I mist and lightly water every day.  Guarding against low humidity is particularly critical growing Stanhopea outdoors in southern California due to the Santa Ana winds we often receive.  These winds are warm to hot and are devoid of humidity.  By the end of fall you can often begin to reduce watering slightly to just two times a week, or less if rainfall is plentiful.

·         Continue fertilizing all species regularly.  I often reduce the manufacturer’s recommendations to one third or one half and fertilize every week, or what is known as weakly-weekly.  Stanhopea can be rather heavy feeders when they are in active growth.

·         Fall is an excellent time to repot smaller Stanhopea or larger baskets.  I usually wait until mid to late October to rebasket because this allows the growths to increase in size and makes it less likely that you will injure them.  This is a prime time for growth for several species and rebasketing is advantageous.

·         Weed baskets to prevent ferns and other plants from taking up space in baskets.

·         In mid fall (November) I remove or roll up most of the saran shade cloth and store it until spring.  This allows the Stanhopea to receive more sunlight, albeit diffused light during the fall and winter months.  This will assist those species that grow all year and often complete their growth in the winter.

·         If you know temperatures are going to increase and humidity levels drop, you may want to consider moving a Stanhopea that is coming into bloom to a shadier more humid area, or as I often do onto my covered patio.  That way I can enjoy the flower show right from my window.  This often prevents early desiccation of flowers and they tend to last the average three to five days instead of just two.

·         Throughout fall make sure to check for growing inflorescences and ensure that their growth is unimpeded by other plants or the basket.  If need be place a plastic label underneath the inflorescence to help direct the growth out of the basket.  Some inflorescences may emerge from the baskets as late as November or December in some species.

·         Use of a methaldihide product or an organic substitute such as Sluggo is advised on a weekly basis at this time to prevent slugs from disfiguring new growth and impacting new inflorescence and bud growth.  I often use a product called “That’s It” that is a granular form and therefore leaves less residue in the growing media.  I am currently testing Sluggo as a more organic method of slug control.

·         Check for spider mites through fall as our weather is still warm and dry.  Small yellow spots on the foliage signal that these pests are active on your Stanhopea.  Spray infected areas with rosemary oil spray or an insecticidal soap to kill the pests as soon as possible to prevent them from damaging the plant further and spreading to other orchids.

·         You should also be diligent in keeping watch for fungus infections at this time on leaves.  Several fungus attack leaves when humidity is high and temperatures are warm. Black or brown spots of leaves and yellowing of leaves in odd patterns are usually the cause of fungus or bacterial infection.  Treat with a fungicide or bactericide.  I often use Physan 20 to deal with the problems and prevent further damage to the plants.

·         The warmer temperatures and reduced breezes combine to cause fungal infections such as black spot on some Stanhopea species and hybrids.  The key to reducing this problem is to make sure your Stanhopea are grown in a breeze way that gets constant air flow, or to place a fan in the growing area that produces a very slight breeze at all times.  This will prevent the fungus from settling on the leaves and disfiguring them.   This problem does not impact the health of the plant to a large degree but it does look unsightly.

3 comments:


  1.  I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an ICU nurse, of an amazing 38yrs long career bearing witness to God's great love for us, I know what a medical miracle is!
    The first time that I saw an HIV patient cured with African herbs prepared by Dr. Utu Herbal Cure was in my 20yrs of nursing career, I felt God's presence with humans. He guides those he has chosen to live. I am a complete believer in God he is so marvelous that he has given us all it takes to survive and save our surroundings!
    I have recommended DR UTU HERBAL CURE to HERPES VIRUS patients, PSORIASIS patients, and many others who have come to me for remedy and they ALL testified to be permanently cured.
    DR UTU can still be reached today on "drutuherbalcure@gmail.com".

    ReplyDelete