Wednesday, August 22, 2012

How do you know your Stanhopea is happy?

 


Stanhopea shuttleworthii in bud
Other than the rather easy answer that your Stanhopea blooms consistently for you every year, there are other signs to observe that can help you understand how well your Stanhopea is growing.  A flowering Stanhopea is usually a content Stanhopea. I have noticed that they will not flower if they are severely stressed or not in the correct environment.  A Stanhopea that consistently produces several inflorescences every year is large enough and being provided the right care in order for it to put a great amount of effort and resources into flowering well.






Stanhopea insignis exhibiting older robust
pseudobulbs and new growth.

A plant that has several new and mature growths is doing well and will have the energy reserves to flower the following year.  A plant that has large pseudobulbs (this varies according to the species) is more likely to produce larger growths and more inflorescences.  Large and firm pseudobulbs are a sign that the plant is doing well.  Some species have folds or wrinkled surfaces such as S. insignis that may look like they are desiccated.  However, if you gently press the pseudobulb between your thumb and index finger and it is firm, then the plant is doing well.  However, if the pseudobulb is spongy or soft, then the plant may be getting either too much or too little water. 



Stanhopea tigrina var. nigroviolacea
producing several inflorescences

Once you have grown your Stanhopea for a few years, you may want to make a trophy plant out of it, re-basket it into a large basket and let it fill the entire container. This will provide you with a massive plant that will produce several if not dozens of inflorescences and bloom for several weeks. These trophy plants are very attractive and show stoppers. However, your orchid cannot remain in the same container forever, and it will eventually decline unless it is divided and re-basketed. Several growers have reported that a Stanhopea that was in decline and not blooming well was invigorated by dividing it and re-basketing the pieces.






















Stanhopea gibbosa new root growth
Another sign that a plant is doing well is that it is producing new roots with green growth at the tips, this signifies a growing and elongating root.  The roots should be produced around the base of new pseudobulbs and also throughout the basket. In fact, I usually consider a Stanhopea is doing very well when you can see root growth around the outside edge of the basket.  This signifies that the plant is growing well and producing enough root growth to encompass the entire basket.  This root growth takes advantage of all the water and nutrients in the growing medium every time you water.  Root growth is most evident in the spring and summer months. If roots are not actively growing at this time, you may want to check your plant and make sure that it is receiving the correct amount of water. 

A plant that is not getting enough water will have a growing medium that is dry and the basket will be very light.  Your plant should always be moist, but not sopping wet.  An over dry plant will have roots that will turn gray in color and the roots will begin to die and become desiccated.  If your plant is receiving too much water the roots may not be receiving enough air for gas exchange.  In this last case the media will be soggy and the roots will look very dark brown to black and may be rotting in the anaerobic environment.








8 comments:

  1. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Stanhopea tigrina nigroviolacea 'The Predator' that I recently bought. I got it from a reputable source who tells me that this is a division of the actual awardeed mother plant. She tells me to water twice a day when the temperatures are in the 90s as they are now in Texas. I have been doing that, and the new growths are coming along nicely. It needs desperately to be repotted. Half the plant is growing over the side of the basked. I plan to do that once I get all my materials together. But watering twice a day juts seems like so much water. does these plants really like to stay that moist? I water in the morning and by afternoon, the plants is still moist, but not wet. It is a rare plant, and I paid a lot for it, so it si important for me to do this right. Does watering twice a day when it's that hot seem reasonable to you? I'm scared of overwatering it. Once it is in its larger basket with fresh media, it might not need it as much. Right now, the basket is mostly just full of roots with little to no potting medium. Once I repot into a bigger basket with fresh medium, will watering twice a day still be necessary? Iknow these plants need a lot of water and should always be moist, but I don't want to overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Also, at first I had it hanging in a tree where it got direct light from first thing in the morning until about noon. I felt that was too much light because some of the leaves had begin to yellow. I've now moved it to a place where it gets dappled light and bright shade, but no direct sun. My Cattleya do well in that location. Is that a more appropriate amount of sun for it, or does is need more?

      Delete
  3. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am free from HERPES ..................Thanks to ((robinsonbuckler11@gmail)) com.. 🌿🌿

    ReplyDelete